The most important historic building in the town is the castle, situated behind the harbour on the hill. The first castle built on this site is thought to have been constructed by the Ionians.
This small castle was repaired during the rule of Alexander the Great and then it was extended and repaired again by the Ottomans under Süleyman the Magnificent in 1522. It was at this time that his 200,000 troops attacked and seized Rhodes Island. In 1914, during the 1st World War, the castle was heavily damaged by the shelling of a French battleship.
The castle was opened to the public in the Republican era. During this period, 18 houses and a fountain were constructed. There is now a museum inside the castle which opened for visitors on 18th May, 1991, after restorations which had taken ten years. The Museum has seven s, two of which are now used as warehouses. Two of the rooms form a gallery which has a collection of archaeological pieces of art. One gallery is the Ethnographic Hall which is organized as a Turkish house. The other one is organized as the room of Castle Commander. In both these rooms and within the castle there are findings from throughout the region on display, including amphorae, earthenware pieces, glassware, coins and decorative pieces from excavations at Knidos, Burgaz and Hisarönü.
The entrance to the castle opens right onto a garden where a peacock and a turtle familiy live. If you get to the top of the walls by the staircases going up from either side of the courtyard, the view of the town is incredible, with a wonderful panorama to be seen from the walls of the castle.
The Hafza Sultan Kervansaray (caravanserai or travellers inn) is right at the entrance of the narrow street that leads to the castle and was built by the Ottomans, by order of Süleyman the Magnificient in 1545 AD.The building of the caravanserai is covered with arches on the top and contains one large and seven small rooms. These seven small domed rooms of the caravanserai today serve as souvenir and gift shops. The historic Bazaar in the centre of the town is still functioning as a marketplace today. The only changes are the people who shop there and the goods available. Everything has become tourist oriented.
The Ancient City of Loryma (Bozukkale)
The ruins at Loryma, once part of the foundation of Rhodes, were founded originally in the region known as Oplosica (or Artillery Smith), a waterside thicket on the southwest of the Loryma peninsula, 40 kilometres away from the city of Marmaris. The most impressive structure in the area of the settlement is the well-preserved battlement at the entrance of Burunbasi Bay. Nine rectangular towers, made of smooth rock-cut masonry, were built on Rhodes (Rodos) Island. Today, only the Balcony Tower can still be seen at the northern end.
If you want to go to Bozukkale and the ancient city of Loryma, which are among the popular stopping points for the boats running from Marmaris to Bodrum, you need to drive along the road to Taslica from Sögüt and walk the rest of the way. Because it is sheltered from the wind, the Gulf of Bozukkale is one of the most important destinations of the Blue Voyages. At the same time the Gulf was important throughout its history. In 1412 BC, the Athenian fleet anchored here and in 395 BC the navy was based here before the Cnidos War. Today there are some restaurants around the small bay. Yachts and boats are also serviced in the area.