After a good 90-minute e-bike ride from the Prahljust campsite with a few photo stops along the way, we reached Goslar city centre after 22.6 kilometres. The Harz has been an important ore mining area since Roman times.
Therefore, settlements arose here in which the ore was processed and refined into metals. Archaeological finds, even from England, show that many Anglo-Saxon burial objects, such as a sword found in London, were made from the metal of the Harz ore. The earliest evidence of the mining and smelting of Rammelsberg ore could be dated to the 3rd century AD thanks to the archaeological excavations at the Düna manor.
Imperial Palace and Rammelsberg Ore Mine in Goslar
The magnificent imperial palace, the remains of the medieval city fortifications, numerous churches and well-preserved colorful half-timbered houses invite you to visit the past.
Since 1992, the old town of Goslar, together with the Rammelsberg ore mine, has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site, since 2010 the water supply systems of the Upper Harz Water System have also been included.
Kaiserworth and Gothic Town Hall
The Gothic town hall with its famous hall of homage bears witness to the great pride of the citizens, opposite, no less magnificent, the Kaiserworth, the guild hall of the tailors. The golden imperial eagle on the market fountain tells of former power.
Through mining and a strong bourgeoisie, Goslar grew into a trading power and was even one of the founding members of the Hanseatic League. Of the nearly fifty churches, monasteries and chapels that existed in Goslar four hundred years ago, numerous are still preserved, some in ruins. Together with the remains of the city wall and the mighty wide gate at the entrance to the old town, it becomes clear to the visitor that the city also knew how to protect itself.
The Zwinger right next door, with its 6 meter thick walls, is a fortress tower straight out of a picture book. Because it is impossible to list all the sights here, a guided tour of the city is recommended for visitors.
Market square with town hall and fountain
The building is characterized by pointed arch windows and an arcade.
Worth seeing inside is the richly decorated homage hall from the early 16th century with its colourful wooden panel paintings on the walls and ceiling. In the immediate vicinity of the town hall is the former guild hall from 1494 with its striking red façade.
The bells and puppets at the combing building, a more recent attraction, sound four times a day and demonstrate the history of mining on the Rammelsberg. A mining company donated it in 1968 on the occasion of the 1,000th anniversary of the ore mine.
If you want to learn more about the history of Goslar, the Goslar Museum is the right place for you. In the old monastery rooms from 1514 there are extensive historical and art historical collections, including valuable pieces such as an altar from the 12th century, a gospel book from the 13th century and the original eagle from the market fountain from the 14th century.
The tin figure museum offers a very special way of conveying history. All the important stages in the town's history are shown here in miniature - for example mining scenes, a battle in the Thirty Years' War or the great fires of the 18th century.
Lovers of modern art will also get their money's worth in Goslar: although the Mönchehaus is a historic building, it houses the Museum of Modern Art with an extensive collection of paintings, sculptures and installations by well-known avant-garde artists. The Kaiserring, an internationally renowned art prize, is also presented here once a year.
Behind the market is the market church of St. Cosmas and Damian with its two different towers. The 66 meter high north tower is accessible, which then challenges us to climb the church tower.
But more on that in the next article.
Please read as well: